Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Andrew is Going on a Mission!

Amber returned home from serving in the Virginia, Chesapeake Mission, over a month ago, on Oct. 7th, to be exact.  The following day (miraculous circumstances) Andrew, age 18, received his call to serve in the Nampa, Idaho mission.  He is thrilled!  He'll be entering the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, on November 19th.  That's in just eight days from now.

I don't post about my family all that often.  When I read other people's blogs about their families - it sometimes seems that their lives have all been roses - and few thorns.  Perhaps that's because most of us don't like to air our dirty laundry in public (well, some people do) or that we like our privacy and are grateful to not be in the limelight (like me.)

But, I've been doing some major sole-searching these past few months, wondering what my 'mission' or 'calling' in life is going to be in going forward.  I've wondered what the Lord would have me do to lift and bless and help others'.  How could I make this world a better place - even if only by small means and for one person at a time?

Elder Bednar, an Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (of which I am a member) recently shared a powerful message of filling the earth with light and truth.  He reminded us that all these amazing technological tools have been created for the advancement of the Lord's work here upon the earth - and that all other purposes are secondary (or even can be evil in the wrong hands.)

We each get to do our part by sharing things online that are filled with hope and goodness, light, love, compassion, empathy, truth.  We don't need to participate in the other types of things - of which there are many. Rather, we can focus on helping one another, lifting, caring and sharing.

I feel to do that.  Even if my small little blog reaches a small audience - I know that I am trying to do good things that could make a difference for someone.  And, maybe that someone is only me - but, even then, it's a good thing because it provides a way for me to document a bit about my family which, perhaps, will serve a purpose someday for my own posterity.  :)


5 comments:

  1. I love that your son is going on a mission. Nampa, Idaho is an awesome area.
    I have loved following your blog and I hope you keep it going because you have lifted my heart.
    I think you are filling the earth with light. I do think it is important to share struggles and how we have made it through them. Because in those moments we learn more about how Heavenly Father works with us.
    Blessings for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, LeAnn!
    You are a dear and kind online friend! I hope to be able to figure out a way to combine my sites so as to reduce my workload. :) Perhaps, someday, that will come to fruition.
    In the meantime - I thank YOU for your continuous wonderful comments, for all the good that you are doing, for the online connections that you have made and, I'm pretty sure, the consecrated effort that you are making!
    I think that things will continue to grow and improve online and, hopefully, I'll be a better support to you as you have been to me! Thank you and...blessings to you too!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another VA parentApril 1, 2015 at 10:27 AM

    Heidi, just came across your blog. My son is also in Nampa, reported back in July. I enjoy reading the various blogs from the missionaries out there to get a different perspective on the work in the area. I'm looking forward to seeing Andrew's view in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's neat to connect with one another. Are you part of the FB group?
      We haven't made his emails home into a blog yet - for a variety of reasons. But, he's doing so well and loving the people. It's a great place to serve and we've all been grateful he's had this opportunity. Wonderful that your son did, as well!
      Here's his latest post. http://simplymormon.blogspot.com/2015/03/missionary-andrew-in-nampa-idaho.html

      Delete
  4. I wish him the best, my cousin is a convert and is on a mission right now. I'm jewish personally but a couple of my friends are mormon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.