Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Easter Dresses

Growing-up we 'celebrated' Easter in a way that was very meaningful to me.  We didn't ever do the 'Easter Bunny' (for which I am actually very grateful) but we did go on a family picnic and 'roll Easter Eggs' down the BYU Hill.  (If you wonder about that tradition we found out later that our future sisters-in-law had the same tradition in their family.  I don't know where it started but, we weren't the only ones who did it.)  :)

But, even that wasn't what Easter was about.  Our Sabbath worship of the Savior was.  I remember a few times where I got a new Easter Dress for the day.  It was a real treat in our home of eight children on a teacher's salary (Dad taught at BYU) and, for some special reason has stayed with me.

In our home the Sabbath was a special and important day.  We tried to always keep it holy.  We didn't go outside and play like some of our friends did, rather it was a time to be home with the family and to study the scriptures, ponder, pray, have father interviews from time to time, serve others' and do sabbath activities and family dinner together. Mom usually had hymns playing in the background as we went about our day.  Often we'd congregate in the living room and read and study side-by-side.

The reason I share this today is that it's Easter Week; a very meaningful time for many of us.  It's a sacred time to ponder more deeply on Christ, His life, His purpose, His mission and His death and Resurrection.  Sometimes we cannot express in words the depth of our love for Him but we can honor him by the way we live our lives and the things we do to emulate His example and remember Him this week, and always.

To me, a simple Easter Dress as a child was the beginning of my understanding of the holiness of the Day and the sacredness of our worship.  The dresses were pretty to me and Sabbath appropriate but also simple.  They weren't to 'show off' - rather to remind me of the specialness of the occasion and to walk to church reverently with thoughts of Him and the renewal of life that He had provided.

I love my Lord.  He has provided the means for my 'escape'.  He has overcome all things and given me the opportunity of new Life.  I honor revere and reverence his Holy Name.  My we think of and worship Him during this Holy season.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely Easter Post. I loved the new Easter Dresses through the years but learned early the real importance of Easter Celebrations. Wishing you a awesome Easter day.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have sometimes done the Easter dresses, but not every year and not this year. We enjoy the secular part of Easter too, but most years we celebrate on Friday night/Saturday morning and put all that away for Sunday so we can focus on what is really important. Not sure it's the best way, but it seems to work for us.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.