Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Oh What a Beautiful Morning...

Elder Bruce D. Porter told this story in our recent General Conference two weeks ago.  It's made me smile quite a few times since then and has boosted my desire to look for the good, to sing more, to be grateful for beautiful days, and to find peace and joy despite difficult things that may be going on around me and in the world.  These are his uplifting words.

"When I was a student at Brigham Young University, I lived in a house with several young men. My roommate, Bruce, was the most optimistic person I have ever known. We never once heard him say anything negative about any person or any circumstance, and it was impossible not to feel buoyed up in his presence. His good cheer flowed from an abiding trust in the Savior and in His gospel.


One cold, wintry day, another friend of mine, Tom, was walking across the university campus. It was only 7:00 in the morning, and the campus was deserted and dark. Heavy snow was falling, with a brisk wind. “What miserable weather,” Tom thought. He walked farther, and out in the darkness and snow, he heard someone singing.
Sure enough, through the driving snow came our ever-optimistic friend, Bruce. With his arms outstretched to the sky, he was singing a number from the Broadway musical Oklahoma: “Oh, what a beautiful morning! Oh, what a beautiful day! I’ve got a beautiful feeling, everything’s going my way” (Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” [1943])." 

(Youtube clip; 2 1/2 min. "Oh What a Beautiful Morning"

Well all have reason to find joy and happiness in our lives.  Despite difficulties all of us face, we can be at peace knowing that the Lord loves us and will care for us if we will but turn to Him.  Tears and joy are part of this mortal journey.  Light and darkness are as well.  The more we seek and live in the light, the greater will be our joy and happiness in the end.


April 2013 General Conference; LDS Church

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a very uplifting and lovely post; I enjoy it very much. I love that song and I used to sing it to my children in the morning to get them out of bed.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.