Friday, March 29, 2013

My Road to Emmaus - Easter and The Resurrection

After the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, he appeared to two of his disciples as they walked from Jerusalem - on the road to Emmaus.

This morning as I was out walking along a peaceful path near my home - I was thinking and pondering on the Savior, His life, His death, His resurrection and...His goodness to me (and to all of us.)  At one point I wondered about the road to Emmaus and why his disciples did not know or recognize Him as He walked and talked with them.  I wondered if I would - and if I do.  Do I listen to him, really hear him and heed his counsels and warnings?  I can honestly say that I currently really try
to do so; and that He has blessed me greatly because of it.  It hasn't always been this strong - but, years of practicing, trying, striving, repenting, seeking and humbling myself - has proven to be what was needed to hear him more clearly and more closely.  My personal testimony and witness is of his reality and his goodness and his 'personalness'.  He is here for us - and his whole plan of happiness is for us.  His whole life was as an example for us to follow - and to make it possible for us to overcome all things and to receive greater blessings than we can now imagine.

My hope is that each of us will continue along the path that leads us to walk and talk with Him; to know him, to love and to serve Him.  Nothing else really matters in the end.  All else will fail, but He will not and His teachings will not.  We would be wise to heed them and to turn to Him in all things.  Afterall, He is the true Healer and wants to bless and lift us.   And...He will come again. 

President Ezra Taft Benson wrote the following:
The greatest events of history are those that affect the greatest number of people for the longest periods. By this standard, no event could be more important to individuals or nations than the resurrection of the Master.

The literal resurrection of every soul who has lived and died on earth is a certainty, and surely one should make careful preparation for this event. A glorious resurrection should be the goal of every man and woman, for resurrection will be a reality.

Nothing is more absolutely universal than the Resurrection. Every living being will be resurrected. “As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Cor. 15:22).

The scriptural record tells us that on the third day following Jesus’ crucifixion, there was a great earthquake. The stone was rolled back from the door of the tomb. Some of the women, among the most devoted of His followers, came to the place with spices “and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.”

Angels appeared and said simply, “Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen” (Luke 24:3–6). Nothing in history equals that dramatic announcement: “He is not here, but is risen.”

The fact of our Lord’s resurrection is based on the testimonies of many credible witnesses. The risen Lord appeared to several women, to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus, to Peter, to the Apostles; and “after that,” as Paul reported, “he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once. … And last of all he was seen of [Paul] also” (1 Cor. 15:6, 8).

1 comment:

  1. This was a very powerful and well written post. It is true the Savior is the way. I pray for him to walk beside me and I know that he does.
    Blessings to you and have a wonderful Easter Celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.