Friday, February 15, 2013

The Importance of Kindness

For the past few days I've been pondering on the importance of Kindness in our lives.  I've re-learned for myself that it is one of the fruits of the Spirit - along with long-suffering and gentleness.

Galatians 5:22-23  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..."

It's 'easy' to become judgmental and critical of others'.  That is true especially if we are without the Spirit in our lives.  On those occasions we may do well to remember that when we're filled with the Spirit of God - we have love for others' and we see them through clearer lenses.

President Thomas S. Monson counseled:
"Unfortunately, there are those who feel it necessary to criticize and to belittle others. You have, no doubt, been with such people, as you will be in the future. My dear young friends, we are not left to wonder what our behavior should be in such situations. In the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior declared, “Judge not.” At a later time He admonished, “Cease to find fault one with another.” It will take real courage when you are surrounded by your peers and feeling the pressure to participate in such criticisms and judgments to refrain from joining in."

Most of us have probably experienced both sides of criticism; as the criticizer or the recipient.  Either of those brings us turmoil.  And, when we are the recipient of it - it's often difficult to know what to do and how to repair the damage.  Sometimes it's not in our control to do so - and we may suffer in silence.

I recently had an experience like this where the only sure comfort I could get was from the Lord himself.  He answered my deep prayer and comforted my troubled soul.


This morning we discussed the 'fruits of the Spirit' as a family - in our devotional.  I shared with my 3 teenagers my testimony that this is a true principle and that we can find true joy and happiness only through these beloved principles.  Any other way is not of God and will not bring us what we search for; true peace and everlasting happiness.

Only through the gospel of Jesus Christ - can we find the peace and joy that is everlasting and a fulness.  Some other paths may lead in that direction - and those are good.  We are grateful for goodness from wherever it comes.  But, it is my deep belief, and actual conviction, that anything other than these truths - are not the things that will save or really comfort us.  For this understanding I am deeply grateful.  It has changed my whole life.

 

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post and I can say Amen to it all. There are of course several fruits of the spirit; but kindness is such a wonderful ones to work for.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.