Monday, April 16, 2012

How the Spirit Works...

Over the weekend I attended the funeral of a sweet uncle.  He was 92 at his passing and went peacefully - yet after a stroke and some suffering.  Funerals often remind us of what matters most, why we are here, what we're to learn and do, and what we desire for our next stage of existence.

It's at times like this that we rely upon the the promptings and comfort of the Spirit to guide and direct our paths.  We must also teach our children, and others', how the Spirit actually works.

In John 14 we read;
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
and...John 13:
 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

What is the role of the Holy Ghost/Spirit?  For what purpose are we given this gift?  How do we have that companionship with us.  What is our role in being able to receive this blessing?
After the Savior was baptized, a dove descended from Heaven.  This was a sign from the Father that the Savior had been given the gift of the Holy Ghost to accompany him throughout his mortal journey.  Likewise, we each are promised the same gift after baptism through the laying-on of hands.

From Elder Wilford W. Anderson we read: "Yielding our hearts to Christ leads us to repentance and a desire to enter into a covenant with Him to always remember Him, keep His commandments, and take His name upon us (see Mosiah 4:1–3). As we make these promises at baptism, the Savior promises the baptism of fire—the gift of the Holy Ghost, which purifies and sanctifies us (see 2 Nephi 31:17; D&C 19:31)

The role of the Spirit is to remind us of the covenants we have made with God and to prompt us in to all paths of righteousness.  Our role is to hearken to those promptings and keep ourselves worthy to receive them.  All forms of media, music, books, and other environments contribute to our ability to receive, or not, these promptings.  It is our choice whether to "stand in holy places and be not moved" or to be part of the world and those not of light and truth.

Over the years I've come to love and depend upon the Holy Spirit in my life.  He has guided me, warned me, comforted me, taught me and....supplied me with the needful things in my life.  He has helped me to understand the things that matter most, to put of the things of the world, and to seek for God's kingdom and His righteousness.  

It has been a difficult journey for me.  As I ponder on my life challenges, griefs, heartaches, and pain, I know that the greatest blessings have come because of the comfort of the Spirit.  I don't know how I would have endured all that I have - without His companionship to teach me and to help me understand the Lord's will in my behalf.

Though we know that death separates us from our loved-ones who have gone on before - we also know that we will see them again.  They are not far from us.  They, too, are busily engaged in the work of the Lord.  It does not end at death.

The funeral gave me chance to reflect on my life and the lives of my children.   The greatest legacy I could leave for them would be one of faith, obedience and charity - despite any obstacles of mortality.  I may fall short in some areas but the things most dear to me are the things of God.  We have family prayer often, we counsel together about spiritual things and the opposition that these youth face today.  We discuss our plans for the future and what are the most important things we can be dedicated to in life.  

I don't know if I've done a good enough job as a mother.  But, I do know that it has been my #1 priority.  I've sacrificed much to be home with my children.  Divorce, 12 yrs. ago, brought with it some major life changes and challenges.  It has not gotten much easier over the years though my understanding and spiritually have deepened.  Financially we've struggled much and turned to the Lord in supplication for guidance and strength.  He's helped us to live on less, develop skills of frugality and industry, and....guided us to know how best to Trust in Him.

He is kind and wise.  He has sent the Spirit for do the same until the time that we can be with Him again.

In life, I consider this to be among the greatest blessings of all; a member of the Godhead to comfort, guide and teach us.  Also, to warn, bless, refine and purify those of us who are sincerely striving to return to the presence of God again someday.  

4 comments:

  1. This was an enlightening post on the spirit of the Holy Ghost. I too know that this gift is precious and I couldn't go through the trials of life without it. I always pray that my children will know and feel the spirit in their lives and will teach their children how to know and feel the spiritural promptings in their lives. Loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, LeAnn. You are so very kind. I know that you have taught your children well and...that you live this same way! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heidi! You are a spiritual giant!
    I have been so grateful for the Holy Ghost in my life. I know that life has been much easier having this knowledge. I was introduced to a book called, "The Holy Ghost" written by Joseph Fielding McConkie and Robert L. Millet. I have read it many times, it sits next to my scriptures. It is a Wonderful book to help us understand our wonderful companion. I am forever indebted to the Holy Ghost and His wonderful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful book Trina. I hadn't heard of it. It truly is the greatest gift isn't it?
    Thank you for your kind comments. I know that my strength comes from the Lord and that my many challenges in life have brought me to my knees. I am grateful for that - and, now, know that my trials have helped me draw closer to the Lord. I wouldn't trade that for any worldly ease or possession.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.