Friday, December 24, 2010

Provo Tabernacle Fire

Many of us have been deeply affected by a fire which destroyed a beloved icon in our community; the Provo Tabernacle last week. It was a sacred and spiritual building for many of us who have lived in this area for much of our lives and been deeply affected by it's goodness and spirit and historical meaning.

My first reaction was shock, disbelief and tears.  But shortly followed a strong sense of peace which immediately calmed me.  I knew that the Lord was at the helm and that His purposes would be fulfilled.


The shock is still present as I pass the building nearly every day.  But, I have to hope and trust that it can be rebuilt to withstand whatever elements and future events that may occur.  I hope for this as I believe that many others' do as well.

The loss of a spiritual friend leaves a large empty space in our souls.  But, we hope that that space will be filled with God's grace and comfort.

As for me, I am eternally grateful for the impact that it has had on my life and for the feeling of community which many of us now feel as we pull-together in sorrow, mourning and in hope for the future.

http://beta-newsroom.lds.org/article/fire-damages-historic-provo-tabernacle

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2010/12/18/last-week-provo-tabernacle-interior/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705363161/Provo-Tabernacle-burns-in-four-alarm-fire.html

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13693318

http://provomayor.blogspot.com/2010/12/provo-tabernacle-inside.html

2 comments:

  1. On May 4, 1986 the Kirtland, Ohio stake center was torched by arson. I lived in the area at the time and I clearly remember feeling many of the same emotions you describe about the loss of the Provo Tabernacle. Still, it really showed me one more time the truth of how God can use ALL things for good. Many in the community who previously had been either indifferent to or even somewhat hostile towards the minority LDS community in their midst came forward in support. Other churches offered up their buildings for us to use until we could rebuild. People came out of the woodwork to help with the clean up. Is is of course a sad loss, but who knows how the Lord will use this? I did read about the image of Christ that was not burned even though everything around it went up in flames. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Belladonna,
    Your sentiments are well-received and valued! I appreciate your understanding.....
    Blessings to you and yours....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.