Sunday, October 10, 2010

Being Grateful

One of the greatest blessing of the day in which we live is learning to rely upon the Lord for all that we are and all that we have.  When we're too 'independent' or self-absorbed we forget from whence all our resources come.

As a family we've strived to live more by the old pioneer adage;  "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without".  We've realized that we can live on much less that we thought that we could and also that we have 'sufficient for our needs' when we put the Lord first and then rely on Him to deliver us from our troubles and afflictions.

If we keep His commandments and seek to do His will, we can trust in Him to keep His part of the commitment;  "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

I recall a statement of a wonderful religious leader who said:  "A Happy Person is a Grateful Person".  I've not forgotten that - for as we recognize the Giver of all good gifts we are more prone to acknowledge grateful receiving rather than what we lack.

I'm grateful for the many trials that we've faced as a family in single-parent home.  We've learned things that we wouldn't otherwise have learned and have grown in ways that we didn't know we needed to grow in.  Perhaps the greatest blessing for me has come in having to rely on the Lord and His promises.  Because of that I have grown to love and appreciate Him more than I otherwise might have.  And...I've recognized His hand in many miracles in our behalf.  I should, of all, be most grateful .....and.....happy!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Michael J. Fox said that as Americans, we can be very unhappy and malcontented because we have become a society focused on "acquisitiveness". We want to acquire, acquire, acquire, and it never ceases to end. We are blessed to have the Gospel as our true source of peace and happiness and I agree that the attitude of gratefulness makes a huge difference in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.