Saturday, October 18, 2008

How Firm A Foundation

On my mission to Torreon, Mexico, Sister Gillie and I were the only American sisters. We were never companions but were able to see each other a few times over the 18 months that we were there. How grateful I am for some inspirational comments she gave to me that have helped me throughout the ensuing years.

One day she wrote me a note and included the words to the third verse of "How Firm A Foundation". I have loved that verse ever since that day. It has meant much to me and the words have often come to my mind as an answer to my prayers.

Verse 4 has also come to mean a lot to me recently. The words are these:
"When through the deep water I call thee to go-
The rivers of sorrow shall not Thee o'erflow
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless.
And sanctify to thee, and sanctify to thee, and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."

How grateful I am for the beautiful hymns of the church that teach truths, give comfort in time of need, strengthen, encourage and bless. I have many favorites that often speak to my soul. Words aren't often able to express how much they have meant to me.

1 comment:

  1. that was great! I LOVE our hymns :)

    by the way....i tagged you on my blog!!! come see ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.